Wednesday, January 31, 2007

My Review: An Inconvenient Truth

The movie was okay. It was more educational than entertaining, but I guess that was the point. It gave me a newfound respect for Al Gore though. I used to just laugh when I thought of this guy but now I see that he really has found something he cares about deeply and he is trying to educate the world so we can save our planet. The movie made me at the very least want to think about doing something to reduce the impact I'm having on the global warming phenomenon. I'm not sure if I'm going to flip the switch today and go buy a hybrid vehicle or anything, but the seed has been planted and I probably will try to find at least a couple ways to "reduce my impact." Once you are knowledgeable of these things, it's your choice to make a change or not. So I'm glad I have the knowledge. The next step is doing something with it.

The main point of the movie was that the amount of carbon dioxide (C02) we're putting into the earth's atmosphere is creating a layer of Greenhouse Gases surrounding the earth that keep radiation (from the sun) in our atmosphere, that USED TO BE let out. This creates a situation where rather than escaping back into space and out of the earth's atmosphere, heat rays stay inside the earth's atmosphere and contribute to warmer temperatures globally. Here are a couple videos from the movie (both short) that do a better job of explaining than I can:





This has the effect of changing weather patterns dramatically in different parts of the world, melting polar ice caps, causing severe droughts as well as severe rainfalls, changing the ocean currents that help drive our weather patterns, and also making Al Gore very very scared and worried for our future as a planet. Keep that in mind, as a planet. This is not something that will only affect us or only affect some other country we care nothing about (snobby Americans we are).

More on those ocean currents that help drive our weather patterns:



The amount of C02 we put into the earth's atmosphere from our cars, energy plants, etc. is increasing at a very rapid rate. This in turn, is having a tremendous impact on temperatures throughout the world and it's only expected to get worse if we continue on the path we're on. The consequences of us not making changes soon will ultimately be catastrophic and will lead to many deaths and people displaced from their homes.

The movie is very educational and in a lot of ways inspiring. But its focus is something that most of us have only heard about. You know, the term, "Global Warming". But we don't REALLY know what it means even though we may act like it or use the term from time-to-time.

Go see this movie if you have the opportunity! It will enlighten you as to what the term "Global Warming" really means and how important it is for the world to take notice and move swiftly to make changes that will thwart the many catastrophic events that loom.

4 comments:

jendayi said...

Thanks for writing this.

Anonymous said...

You're welcome.

Daneger said...

Where did you find the movie? Did it go str8 to DVD or something?

Anonymous said...

I think it was released independently so it was probably only at "select" theatres. I am not sure if it's on DVD yet, but they screened it last night on the Hopkins campus and that's how I got to see it.

I believe it's on DVD now. If you have Netflix or if someone you know has Netflix, you can get them to put it in their queue for you. That's what my co-worker Brian did.