Wednesday, November 24, 2010

NFL Picks - Week 12

GOODBYE CHILLY!


The Vikings finally came to their senses this week and fired Brad "I'm No Pu$$y Like Brett Favre" Childress. My only question to their ownership is, why didn't they just send Brett right along with him? All season these two have disliked one-another and been having a pissing contest over who really runs the offense. If both of these guys would have put their egos aside and looked to the side they'd have seen one of the best 3 RBs in the league standing right there. That is, Adrian Peterson. All Brad had to do was keep feeding the beast. Now, he's gone. Pretty soon, Brett will be gone too. I'm predicting a season and therefore career-ending injury for Brett in the next couple weeks. Until then, watch the Vikings somehow manage a win IN WASHINGTON this week to give everyone in the media and the Brett Favre knob-slobbers something to hold onto for a week or so (no Jenn Sterger to everything questionable in that last sentence).

And now, my picks...

New England over Detroit: Unless something really ridiculous happens (on multiple occasions) in this game, New England should win. I expect Detroit's defensive line to play well but not well enough to stop Tom Brady.

New Orleans over Dallas: Dallas is playing a lot better and so is New Orleans. If Dallas hadn't looked like crap until two weeks ago I'd probably take them this week. But I think New Orleans is surging and even though Dallas is playing well I think this is the first post-Phillips test that they will fail. I was VERY tempted to take the Cowboys at home but with John Kitna at the helm and one hell of a defensive coordinator in New Orleans, I have to take the Saints. Not to mention I expect Drew Brees to be able to easily throw on the Dallas secondary.

Jets over Cincy: After screwing up my picks last week there's NO WAY I could pick the Bengals against a Jets team with a solid defense and the ability to pull wins out of their azzez every week.

Atlanta over Green Bay: They've gone under the radar long enough. This is the week Atlanta gets the respect their due. I didn't believe they had it until they beat the Ravens but now I think they may very well be the top team in the NFC even though they're probably the one nobody pays attention to (ahem Giants and Philly fans).

Pittsburgh over Buffalo: Pittsburgh coming off a solid win in Oakland and I think they may still be a bit pissed about their loss at home the week before the Oakland game. I expect them to go up to Buffalo and run the ball, run the ball, run the ball. I'm expecting a pretty big day for Mendenhall and some nice play-action passing from Ben.

Cleveland over Carolina: Cleveland isn't that good by any means but Peyton Hillis is a MONSTER! How are the Panthers gonna stop him and find a way to score points with Pierre St. Jacques at the QB position?

Giants over Jacksonville: I'm going with the Giants but I would not be surprised if Eli "Forrest Gump" Manning found a way to screw this one up. The Giants need a win to try and keep pace in the division and I think they'll find a way to pull this one out. The loss of Steve Smith might be hurting the Giants (well, aside from fumble-itis) more than people realize. Jacksonville on the other hand, is playing much better than they probably should be. MJD's got it in gear and they're looking like they might be a contender. This game will come down to the wire.

Minnesota over Washington: No, the win in Tennessee did not put me into the "over-zealous and unrealistic Skins fan" zone. Just when you get your hopes up, we lose by a TON coming off a bye week to Phillly. Just when you get your hopes up, we win on the road in Tennessee and then give up a win at home against a 57 year old QB. If the Redskins are smart defensively (which is questionable), we'll load up the box to stop Adrian Foster and make Old Man Favruh beat us. At least that's what I'd do. I'll take my chances with the old man gun-slingin' and making questionable choices throwing the ball like he normally does. That might just work. The problem with the Redskins is that if McNabb is having an off day, it's a wrap. The running game is weak-to-nonexistent and they don't have a true #1 receiver that they can go to when necessary (closest thing is Chris Cooley). Skins lose, AT HOME.

Houston over Tennessee: I would say this is a shoe-in for Houston since the Titans appear to be starting someone name Rusty Miller at QB. But the Texans defense gives up yards and points to ANYBODY! They are however, super-talented on offense. If Tennessee can't stop Arian Foster it'll be a long day. If they can't stop Andre Johnson it'll be a long day.

Oakland over Miami: Oakland got beat up by Pittsburgh the other day but I expect them to rebound from that loss. Miami has to travel cross-country and play a team coming off a home loss. It won't be easy. I just hope that Jason Campbell gets it together. Then again, I don't really care per se I just want Oakland to win so my pick is right.

Kansas City over Seattle: I never sleep on the Seahawks at home because for some reason I tend to believe they have a better home-field advantage than most other teams being wayyyyy up there and wayyyy over there (you know what I mean). But, Kansas City is just a better team all-around.

Philly over Chicago: Can you say shoot-out? Mike Vick's mobility will be tested this game. I am hoping for a shoot-out in this one. Jay Cutler doesn't care, he'll throw it 70 times if you want to. Andy Reid will definitely let Mike Vick throw it 40 times. And with Mr. Jackson and Mr. Maclin running those speed routes, the pressure's on the Bears's defense. Good luck with that.

Denver over St. Louis: Kyle Orton to Brandon Lloyd! Expect to hear this a lot.

Baltimore over Tampa Bay: The Ravens are talented and tough enough to win this easily but they'll find a way to make it difficult. They're playing against a young QB they should presumably be able to confuse with a variety of different defensive coverages. They should be able to hold the run in check and only give up 70-80 yards. And on paper, the Ravens have one hell of a set of offensive weapons. I'm just never convinced that the Ravens are a guaranteed win unless it's against a team like the Panthers that sucks beyond belief. Remember, the Ravens came close to losing at home against the Bills earlier this season. Granted, the Bills aren't as bad as their record indicates but they still should have never had a chance against the Ravens.

Colts over Chargers: I know San Diego will be the trendy pick with Mr. Rivers throwing for a bazillion yards and a bazillion TDs so far this season (7 in his last 2 games). Not to mention that the Chargers have had the Colts number as of late. But, somehow the Colts manage to play well against solid teams (see, Colts/Pats last week). The game is in Indy so I think that means there's a slight home-field advantage for the Colts. If Collie's back I think Peyton has an even better chance of winning. This would have been an additional underdog pick for me but I'm not going to bet against Peyton at home against a team that I think they can keep pace with.

Chargers over Colts: Initially I thought Colts at home. But now looking at the facts that: 1) SD is #1 in the league in sacks, 2) SD gives up the least passing yards/game in the league (not that this matters as much as #1), 3) SD has the 3rd best rushing defense in the league (and Indy has very little of a running game), and 4) we are probably in the midst of that patented SD midseason surge. With all that said, I've gotta go with SD winning in a shoot-out.

Arizona over San Francisco: The 49ers looked bad last week. The Cardinals have looked bad all season. But who better to spoil any chance whatsoever that the Niners still have of winning this division? By the way, this division really is a horrible division!

No comments: