Monday, April 23, 2007

60 Minutes does not support the silent treatment

"This is so stupid, I might start snitching about old stuff just to show that some of us have some sense!"
Arguably the most embarassingly ignorant stuff I've seen in a while. When they interviewed the kids I honestly felt embarassed that mainstream America will see this and think that young blacks are unintelligent and ignorant.

Hopefully urban youth get a whiff (of 60 Minutes, yeah right) of this and see how counter-productive this whole stop snitchin' mantra really is. But then again, maybe they'll stop gentrification and provide equal education to all children without consideration of level of income. It'll be interesting to see which one happens first. I'm holding my breath.



4 comments:

K.C. said...

Camron is dumber and dumberer. I can't stand him. He is an embarrassment to his people and he should be banned from the public eye. On the other end though, I wonder why 60 minutes picked him as the spokesperson for black america?...typical one-sided media system.

Those kids really saddened me. They have no idea. Where do we go from here?

Anonymous said...

This is one of those videos that makes me realize why people say stuff like "I feel dumber after watching this".

That is precisely how i felt about this segment.

I think we all know 60 Minutes didn't do an extensive search for rappers of sound mind and reason prior to this segment. And I'm sure CamRon didn't mind being a camera-whore and having the opportunity to make us all think he's cool because he doesn't snitch.

60 Minutes ignorance begets CamRon's ignorance.

Where do we go from here?

EDUCATION! If you let MAINSTREAM hip-hop educate your children...

Publius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Publius said...

Good post! I read the transcript of this interview on-line and couldn't believe what I was reading. To have a guy say that he wouldn't even turn in a serial killer b/c it would hurt his record sales was absolutely insane!

Where do we go from here?

There has to be a culture change. The thug life cannot be the "cool" thing. The police have to start treating people equally and communities have to give them a chance to try. Easier said that done - no doubt.

Smoke If You Got 'Em