Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I walked right into an episode of The WIRE

I was hoping to see Herc and Carver round the corner any second...
Yesterday I had my evening planned out:
  1. Leave work and meet Sei at the gym
  2. Leave the gym, go home, cook the steak I have thawing out
  3. Work on a website and then hit the sack
I never thought that my night would go the way it went...

5:31 PM: My boy BHill calls me and tells me he ran out of gas. He tells me he is on some street in Baltimore city and he needs me to bring him some gas. Me being the friend that I am, told him YES without a thought. I found out that my co-worker had a gas can, asked him if I could use it, and began to make my way out of work. I called Sei on my way out the door and told him we could push the gym appointment to 7pm. He agreed.

5:45 PM: I'm at the gas station getting gas...Gas for my car because I realized I was almost on 'E' and I didn't want to run out of gas taking gas to him. I also filled up the gas can with about a gallon of gas.

5:55 PM: I look at my cellphone and BHill's called me twice (I missed 'em) and when I go to dial his number he calls me again. I pick up:

BHill: "Yo son, I think somebody's throwing rocks at my car or something. My car just got hit by something. You gotta hurry-up and get here...You know where I'm at right?"

[Me thinking: "These Baltimore ni99as is crazy"]

Me: "You are on Aisquith, right?" [realizing Aisquith is straight grimey] "Man, you are in the hood ain't you? (LOL)"

BHill: "Yeah son, shyt is wild over here. Holla at me when you get on Aisquith! You not that far away."

Me: "Cool. Be there in a minute."

It was at THIS POINT that I realized where he was and that I: 1) needed to get my knife out the trunk and 2) might be walking into some wild shyt. I never did get my knife out of the trunk...

I get to Aisquith about a minute later and talk with BHill up until the point I see his car with hazard lights on, on the side of the road. He tells me that someone's pulled up in a SUV behind him really really close and they have a hoodie on and he can't see anything but the guy's face. At THIS POINT, I am starting to get really nervous because I realize he has run out of gas at "Latrobe Homes." For those of you from urban areas, you know that when a housing development has no grass and a sign with a name on it, it is the PRO-JECTS!

6:10pm: I pull up in front of his car and get out. I notice the black SUV parked right behind him very close. As soon as I get out of my car I notice about 5 young guys (teens) standing in front of a door to one of the apartments. One guy sees me get out, throws his hoodie over his head, and immediately walks towards me.

What am I thinking at this point in time?







This is when my bowels loosened.

I am going to my trunk to get the gas can out and I am a little scared because I think he might think I'm "goin' to my trunk" for real for real and he takes me out. He was obviously a look-out boy for someone in the area. I slowly open my trunk and pull out the bright red gas can and hold it up just high enough for him to see what it is and not blow my brains out. He sees the red gas can, turns around the other way, takes his hoodie off and walks back to where he was standing. Meanwhile, BHill is getting out of his car and grabs the gas can and immediately goes to put the gas in his car.

I SWEAR, this was the longest 1.5 minutes of my life watching him pour the gas in his car with a guy in an all-black hoodie in the SUV behind his car staring us both down. Right about the time he finished pouring the gas, the SUV pulled off and my bowels went back to normal. I hopped into my car and waited for BHill to turn his car on and start driving up a little. He did, and we rolled out.

I think I sweat a river...

On the way to our respective homes, we talked/joked via cellphone about how we'd just dodged death and he thanked me for "saving his life". But I know for a fact we were in serious danger. I'm just glad it was still daylight outside. If it was at night, I might not be here typing this post right now.

THANK YOU JESUS!

If this was an episode of The WIRE, Marlo would have just shot us.

9 comments:

K.C. said...

HOLy MOly homie. That is WILD!

"At this point my bowels loosened." LMAO

I'm glad you and BHill are safe!

Anonymous said...

It was pretty wild. I haven't been in a situation like that in a minute. I am glad I didn't make any sudden movements. I am sure it would have got me beat up at the least and shot at the worst.

You ever been in the presence of dudes and just felt that grimey aura/vibe? That's just how it felt.

K.C. said...

i can picture you now...moving.....in....slow....motion.

Anonymous said...

Like the effen MATRIX!

T.a.c.D said...

WOW...that's crazy man...I am just glad that you KNEW how to act in the situation and GET OUT of the situation...and that you and BHill are safe...

heres a thought though:
do we always KNOW how to react? Is that just instinctive OR is it a learned behavior????

because like the young men that I deal with now, I don't know if they could have known how to think through this situation and get out alive...seriously...

Man this is a deep one

Anonymous said...

To answer your question Tiff, I think it's both. I think most of us have the common sense to sense when danger is around or may present itself. I'm sure I'm not the only person who could peep the young dude throw his hood on, walk near me, and tell that he was up to something. That's common sense.

But the instinctive part (in my opinion) was knowing to 1) not make eye contact and 2) do something to let him know I was not a threat (hold up gas can).

I've been in similar situations before so I think that's learned behavior because of some of the stuff I went through when I was growing up. I always tell people that you don't get shot/stabbed/killed unless you are a threat to someone or are seen as a potential threat to someone.

So making yourself look as non-threatening as possible could save your life.

Anonymous said...

Yooooo!

No disrespect brotha...
But If THAT wasn't the funniest ish I read today, I aint black (that is your cue to picture my complexion).


I needed that one, for real. I am glad that you are able to journalize it in hind sight to make it a humorous occasion.


Coolty
"international whatchamacallit"

Anonymous said...

Ty,

It's only funny if you live to talk about it bruh.

LOL.

Lawrenorder said...

And I can't help but think... it shouldn't have to be like that.

I'll say, I'm glad you were able to share this story. I am genuinely saddened that you (and others) feel unsafe and threatened in certain places you go.

The humor only comes in presentation, because we all know you. But really though, ain't nothing funny about feeling like you just stepped into an scene out of The Wire and you were just helping a friend.