Saturday, December 23, 2006

Fire up the "Hibachi": Gilbert Arenas has NEVER seen a shot he didn't like

A couple late updates:

1. Gilbert compares his numbers to Mamba's:
"But if you go year by year, number-wise, what’s the difference between me and Kobe? He had Shaq. He got three rings. Other than that, my numbers are blowing his out of the water the first six years in the league."
This should be interpreted as "Kobe's a punk!"

2. Arenas now shouts the phrase “quality shots” in response to Kobe Bryant’s comments following Arena’s 60-point game against the Lakers.
Last night I had the luxury of staying home, relaxing, and watching television all night. I was a little upset that the Nuggets game wasn't going to be on TV because I think that I (along with every other basketball fan in the country) wanted to see AI's Denver debut LIVE and not just the highlights on Sportscenter. But I digress.

I was glad to know that the Wizards/Suns game was going to be on ESPN. So I decided that I'd settle in for the night and watch (what I expected to be) a very fast-paced and high scoring game. Needless to say, the Wizards and Suns did not disappoint.

But the point of this post is for me to give Gilbert "Hibachi" Arenas some well due respect for just how good he is. Yes he jacks up about 25 shots per game (24.4 I believe)! Yes he is probably the most eccentric/quirky/weird player in the NBA right now! Yes he creates "chips" on his shoulder in order to motivate himself to play games! And yes, he is a top-tier player in the NBA right now.

Last night, Gilbo (a name my friend Brandi came up with for Gilbert...I call him that or G-Renas) poured in 54 points with two of the NBA's best defenders guarding him the entire night. Shawn Marion and Raja Bell were draped over Gilbo for just about every possession the entire night and this guy still managed to pour in 54 points hitting jumper-after-jumper and making drive-after-drive to the hoop. At one crucial point in the game he went to the hole, got fouled, and laid a soft basket in high off the glass (like were Earl "The Goat" Manigualt jumped to get that quarter) for the "and-1". It was a beautiful play, but it wasn't his best. Later in overtime, G-Renas hit a crucial 3-pointer from the top of the key with a defender in his face and to top that off, it was a bank shot off the glass. I was completely flabergasted at the shot. But this guy's just THAT good!

Everyone in the league knows that the Wizards play absolutely NO DEFENSE whatsoever, so Gilbert, Antawn Jamison, and Caron Butler have to have 20+ per night to win consistently. And when these guys are on, they're on! And Gilbo usually leads the way (he is the 3rd leading scorer in the NBA right now).

Earlier this week, against the Lakers, Gilbert dropped 60 on punk-azz Kobe. After the game, punk-azz Kobe complained about Gilbo's shooting saying:
"But him individually, it's funny. He doesn't seem to have much of a conscience. I really don't think he does. Some of the shots he took tonight, you miss those, and they're just terrible shots. Awful. You make them and they're unbelievable shots. I don't get a chance to play him much, so I haven't gotten used to that mentality of just chucking it up there. He made some big ones, but I'll be ready next time."
Ex-squeeze me?!?! YOU haven't gotten used to what? Dude, you scored 80+ in a game last year! WTF are you talking about? I guess this is Kobe's way of saying, "You got me this game." Yet another example of Kobe's b*tch-osity. But unfortunately for Gilbo, it probably means that Kobe is going to put the clamps on him defensively the next time they play.

Needless to say, Kobe's comments completely shocked me because Kobe Bryant is one to point the finger about someone jacking up shots selfishly. But I guess it takes one to know one. My point in this post is just to give G-Renas some credit for how great he's been playing lately and for carrying my favorite team all season and hopefully far into the play-offs. Even with all his weirdness and awkward facial expressions, he's still one of my favorite players in the NBA to watch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I caught Kobra's comments on late nite TV after the Wizards/Lakers game. I think it's fair to say that he is the most selfish and egotistical athlete in pro-sports today. I can't stand that little weasel. Go Gilbo!

Anonymous said...

Kobe's the epitome of a punk. You gotta appreciate his abilities on the court, but his personality is just that of punk.

GO GILBO!