Friday, December 1, 2006

The worst part of my day today

In about an hour, I am going to be getting some sort of prostate examination type -ish. I'm sure most of you can figure out what that entails and it 'taint perty.

Some of you may know that my father passed away in 2002 due to prostate cancer. Well, before he passed he told me all that he knew about the disease and how to prevent it or catch it early. So since then I've gotten very educated on the disease and had a prostate exam a couple times. I recently had a colonoscopy and now this follow-up prostate exam type thingy today. I honestly don't know what's going to happen but I fully expect to get violated in an hour (UGGGHHHH...LOL).

Anyway, I figure that even though I hate going through this stuff I'd rather take the necessary precautions rather than wait, scared to get examined, and find out I have full-blown cancer one day. The prostate exam is bad fellas, very bad. Ving Rhames in Pulp Fiction type bad. Awful, dreadful, I could go on.

But in my case it's necessary. For the colonoscopy I was put to sleep o I don't really know what went down (which makes me feel vulnerable, weird, and violated at the same time). And today I don't even know what to expect so it should be very interesting to say the least. But if I came out of the colonoscopy without a limp then I fully expect this test (which I don't have to be put to sleep for) to be at least bearable (physically, emotionally though...we'll see).

What I do know though, is that if I am going to get cancer, I'm going to beat the shyt! And I know most of you are probably thinking "He's young, why is he worrying about all this now?" I thought the same thing for a short time after my father passed. But after mentioning it to my doctor and taking her advice, I decided to take all the necessary precautions - like a prostate exam every time I get a physical - and whatever other tests she recommends. My theory is that I only get one life and if I can prolong it by getting a jump on a life-threatening disease, then by all means I'm going to do just that.

Not sure why I put all this randomness out in the open, but I guess I've got this stuff on my mind because of what's about to go down in a few. Aren't you glad I'm not chronicling this stuff like I chronicled my braces? LMAO!
PS - A colonoscopy is totally different from a colon cleansing. In addition, it will change your appetite forever. Ever since I got that procedure done, my appetite has been ridiculous. I can eat like 5 full meals a day now. Maybe I'll finally gain some weight??? (LOL)

1 comment:

T.a.c.D said...

I TOTALLY understand the precaustions...and think that you are doing the RIGHT thing....being that my mother had breast cancer I have to take precautions as well...you are NEVER to young to start doing preventive care for your body...it can really save your life...
so while I can't understand fully what your personal tests are like, I understand...and commend you for taking the proper precautions....