Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Will & Jada: Gotta love 'em

After reading an article last night in Entertainment Weekly about Will Smith's new movie, "The Pursuit of Happiness", which co-stars his son, Jaden (which I think is cool as hell), I was definitely inspired to go see the film even more so than I already was. Will is one of my favorite actors and also one of my role models (yeah I'm grown with role models, and what?). And minus all the swinger rumors and Jada's band, I think they have one of the coolest marriages in Hollywood.

In the article in Entertainment Weekly, Will kept talking about how he wanted to "do good" (as in do good for the world) and how he wanted the world to be a better place each day because he was in it. Lofty and perhaps a bit sensationalized, but yet-and-still admirable coming from a man that you assume really means what he's saying. In addition to talking about "doing good" he touched on his friendly rivalry with Tom Cruise, being able to become a successful African-American actor overseas which was pretty much unheard of before he did it, and how his son motivated him during the making of "The Pursuit of Happiness".

In my eyes, this guy lives an almost perfect life. No one's life is perfect but I can't imagine how much fun it would be to wake up as Will Smith everyday with Jada Pinkett laying beside me. When your wife is busy donating $1 million to her alma mater (and suggesting they rename it after her former classmate, Tupac Shakur) and you're starting an all-Black film company to give black producers and directors a chance to break barriers, I would definitely call that "doing good", very good!

3 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

I really appreciate this post, because of course ir reaffirms MY belief in the BLACK FAMILY coming back together...I too think that they are a GREAT example!!!!

Anonymous said...

They are such a power couple. And I am not just talking about the money aspect. They are a great example of love, family and values.

Anonymous said...

They are one of the only black couples I really look up to in terms of wanting to have a relationship like theirs. There aren't that many anymore it seems in terms of celebs or in general.

This is why it was really disappointing to hear about Babyface and Tracey Edmonds separating. Being a lover of hip-hop, I hate to admit that we need more examples of strong and loving Black relationships because the way a lot of contemporary artists treat women as possessions rather than people, it's only going to contribute to there being less real Black families.

But I still believe that it's possible and I will have that type of family one day.