Friday, February 10, 2006

Academia: Your ahead of the game and you don't even know it

Here's a little story of something that happened to me yesterday. I have a class on Thursday nights downtown in Baltimore, "Internet and Electronic Commerce". Yesterday I was under the impression that I had an assignment (an article critique) due. My class runs from 7:45pm to 9:45pm (a lil late, right?) so I had already read the article I had to critique a couple days ago and highlighted some key points. So when I got off work I went home and started writing my critique. I put some really good effort into this thing and finished it just in time to make my way out the door and to the class on time.

I get to class and the professor gives his lecture and he's about to let us go and he says: "So your critique is due next week."

And I'm thinking "Damn, I already submitted mine to him online. Is it really due next week or was it due today?" So I asked and he told me it was due the following week. I replied that I'd sent it to him already and the other 3 guys in the class looked at me like I just drew a picture of the Prophet Muhummad as "frightening and appalling to all those who treasure the freedom of expression." Basically, like I was Danish.

Anyway, so I tell the professor that he'll be able to read mine tonight and he's like "that's cool." So the guys in the class now sice me and say "Well at least you've got a week off while we'll be working on it." Yes! At least I do! Then the professor says "Let's make it due in two weeks!" And I smile both inside and out and walk out the class thinking "Man, you're such a BAMA Mike...But a smart one!"

No comments: