Wednesday, February 15, 2006

MYSPACE.COM

Is it just me or is Myspace just a less overtly ghetto-fabulous version of Blackplanet? I am NOT a member of myspace...Not yet at least but I have visited a couple friends' pages on myspace. It's cool...It's okay. But for me there doesn't appear to be much of anything special about it. And there's definitely nothing that separates it from what I experienced in my college days on Blackplanet.com.

I actually think the folks at blackplanet should look into some sort of litigation against myspace b/c from what I have seen in myspace and recall from blackplanet, they are essentially the same thing. One just (and now this seems quite silly and bad marketing) has "black" in it's name. Of course, myspace will out-do blackplanet just like MTV will out-do BET. But this has nothing to do with reality shows, video shows, or just better marketing and programming in general. This has more to do with hype.

myspace.com is being hyped now like google was hyped 3-6 months ago and how ebay was hyped years ago. It's nothing wrong with it. It just makes me wish that blackplanet had the same sort of hype back when I used to use it. Now blackplanet will eventually have to either step their game up even more or fall to the wayside as it's users inevitably decide that myspace is more trendy, chic, and cool.

It's all about social networking online now (at least that's what the media says) and pretty soon myspace will probably be synonymous with social networking like google is with web-searching. Personally, I like this blogger.com thing a lot better. It's pretty easy to use, more organized, and a little more structured than myspace appears to be. But being a web guy, I'll probably end up with a myspace account sometime soon just off G-P.

No comments: