Friday, February 10, 2006

Video Review: Kanye West, "Touch the Sky

First, the video:



I think this video is different. I don't know how TIGHT I think this joint is. It's definitely more funny than anything else. The song itself is DOPE. Kanye does good on it and Lupe Fiasco is a good change of pace on the track. I like the fact that Kanye isn't afraid to go out the box and do these types of videos. Not to mention the fact that he's not afraid to confront stereotypes (black men and white women; "What you want some t*tt*es...What about the a$$?!?!?!!). Those are some things that need to be brought up and discussed/addressed.

Between Kanye, Luda, and Missy, I think that they all express some real creativity in their videos. Throw Common in that mix as well. It seems like a lot of other artists just find Benny Boom to direct their joint and think they're shyt is hot. His videos are usually good, but it's a different type of creativity in Benny's videos than in videos like this one or like Luda's "Stand Up".

Anyway, the whole Evil Knievel theme to this thing kinda freaks me out. Especially Kanye's goatee (which my co-worker refers to as the 'face-pu$$y'...WHOA!). So anyway, the best part of the whole video is Nia Long playing the ghetto girl who is actually...Nia Long playing "Nia Long". That was great! Aside from that, I like how the video goes along (for the most part) with what the song's about and ends with Kanye dying, but "touching the sky" in Heaven at the end. I am not really sure what reason Pam Anderson is in the video for other than shock factor (the kiss) and to give a visual to the line "and when he get on he leave your a$$ for a white girl!" But Pam Anderson..."Go head girl get-down-get-down!" I ain't mad at ya. She knows how to keep her name out there in the mix, that's for sure.

Overall, even with all the fake-o stunts and the storyline somewhat paralleling the actual lyrics, I still have to give my man's video a 3.5/5. It just wasn't all that to me. Kanye's always screaming about how much work he puts into his videos and his love for vidoes and directing and how he wants people to leave work early to go catch his video's premiere...Well, maybe the next one because I wouldn't leave work for this one. I still believe that "Through the Wire" is HANDS-DOWN the best Kanye video. Followed by "All Falls Down" (Life IS...The DASH!!! Oh YES-IT-IS!)

2 comments:

Lawrenorder said...

Did you hear the insanity? Kanye would like to be included as a character in a "modern" version of the Bible. THE BIBLE, man!!! Says he should be one of the prophets or storytellers because "young people" listen to what he has to say, blah blah blah. So I'm sitting here thinking, yea Kanye you're cool and all, but keep going and you'll be next in line to be struck by lightening.

Anonymous said...

Where did you hear that? I gotta listen to it before I can really respond. He says some wild stuff though.