Friday, September 8, 2006

The day Hip-Hop died...



...might just be the day hip-hop is reincarnated. Nas's next album is dropping November 7th. I haven't been excited about a Nas album release (to be honest) since Nastradamus, and most people know how that played out. Since then, I have not been pumped about a single Nas release, NOT ONE!

But this next album comes with all the hoopla of the partnership with Jay-Z; the prospect of a Jay-Z/Nas collaboration; after one of the greatest battles in hip-hop, ever; one of the most unexpected truces and partnerships in hip-hop, ever; small beefs with other "big-name" artists (50 Cent, Mobb Deep, Cormega); and the release of an album (Street's Disciple) that lets you know that though he may not bring it on each and every song like he did on Illmatic...The man who used to be one of the most popular lyricists (and really still is by the way) can still do it with the best of them.

The question is, can Nas shy away from tyring to please the masses by bringing back the old Illmatic Nas, but improve upon that Illmatic Nas with the growth he's experienced since that time. From losing his mother to beefing with Jay-Z (and other rappers) to getting married to whatever else he's experienced. That's all personal growth that has been infused into some of his latest music and hopefully will add more depth to the music he's putting out on November 7th.

What I loved about Nas was his story-telling ability and his ability to help you see the streets through his eyes but not glorify them. And he also had this ability that BHill pointed out to me where he could rhyme like every fourth word for an entire verse. It's really amazing if you go back an listen to some of his work. The man is lyrically VICIOUS!

So while I look forward to this album, I will TRY not to get my hopes up too too much because I don't want to set my expectations too high like I did for the Black Album. But I think his lead single is going to shed some light on what to expect.

5 comments:

jendayi said...

To be honest, I've never been a fan of Nas simply because of who he was when I first took note of him. I couldn't stand his personality and his cockiness. But I am too excited about his new album. Like you said, his experiences and growth since his last album should show up on the new stuff. I'm interested to see how he's evolved.

Did you see Nas and Kelis on 106 yesterday releasing "Blindfold Me"? They are the cutest couple in hip hop.

Anonymous said...

I can understand how a cocky rapper could cause you not to like him initially. Jay-Z is like that for a lot of people as well. As a dude, it doesn't really bother me. It just comes across as a part of his swagger (as they say). Most guys have some sort of swagger about them. Well at least guys who are confident in themselves. Swagger does not always equal arrogance or cockiness though. I want that to be clear.

I think that Nas has actually evolved quite a bit, but most people just ignore it. I ignored it too because after he and Jay beefed, I was on some eff Nas shyt for a minute. So I think alot of people just blew him off and what he was saying. I guess that's the difference between a die-hard Nas fan and a fan like me who didn't start paying attention to him again (for the most part) until his last album came out. I didn't see him and Kelis on 106 and South Park but I heard the song was pretty cool. I bet they are all up each other's butts because it definitely comes across that way. It's cool though, that they can be that way. I remember when I used to...Awww eff it!

jendayi said...

you remember when you used to what?

Anonymous said...

Remember when I used to be like that. That's a good feeling. Most guys won't readily admit that they've felt like that. Some guys never have for whatever reason. But that feeling, it's definitely a good one, especially when it's mutual.

jendayi said...

Awww!! Mikie!!!! Lol. (I know what you mean.)