Friday, September 8, 2006

When I hear these songs, I think of my wife...

...though I don't know who she will be at this point or if I've even met her (maybe I have)...I've always known that these two songs will epitomize her and my feelings for her.



Anita Baker - Angel




If I could I'd give you the world
I'd wrap it up around you
Won't be satisfied with just a piece of this heart
My angel, oh angel
You're my angel, oh angel
Dreams are dreams - Some dreams come true
I found a real dream baby when I found you
You're so strong
But tender too
You're my angel, oh angel
You're my angel, oh angel

Love like ours is heaven sent
Each day a day to remember
I feel so safe
I feel secure with you
You give me love and keep right on giving
You fill me up baby with the joy of living
When things get tough I can always turn to you
You're my angel, oh angel
You're my angel

Love the way we touch
I love the way it feels
Everytime you're near me
My poor heart just won't keep still
No doubt about it that this love I feel is real
Ask me to go with you, you know I will
Hold me near, hold me tight
Only you can make it real
Only you can make it alright
Just let me know that I am special to you
My angel, oh angel
You're my angel, oh angel
You're my angel, oh angel
You're my angel, oh angel
You're my angel, oh angel
What's interesting/funny about this song or might stand out to you guys is that in this song Anita Baker is actually singing about a guy. Obviously, my perspective for this song has a woman as the person being serenaded.

I've loved this song since the first time I heard it. My mother was a HUGE Anita Baker fan when I was younger. So in turn, I am a huge Anita Baker fan, especially her earlier work. I have all the CDs, know all the lyrics, and have Anita Baker's Greatest Hits in my CD player from time-to-time. This song is easily my favorite. "Rapture" and "Sweet Love" are probably number 2 and 3.

Anyway, I know this might strike some of my male buddies as a sort of "soft" (whatever that means) post but it's real talk, so go ahead and get your jokes ready cuz I'm cool either way. This is REAL TALK.




Goodie Mob - Beautiful Skin




Well, I say you're my, beginnin my end
You're my sista lover and friend
God is, your light from within
It shines through your beautiful skin
What they, say bout you ain't true
There's no me if there is no you

I hope, that you understand
You got to respect yourself before I can
This one is not so much the entire song, though I do like the song. It's moreso the hook. The bolded words above resonated so strongly with me the first time I heard this song that I immediately committed them to memory. Certain words/songs/moments are etched into your memory forever and for me, the hook of this song is one of those things.

You'll notice that the title of this song above is not linked to the video for the song, but a montage that someone put together with this song as the background music. If you'd like to hear the song, please check out the video. Cee-Lo does a great job!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i never heard the anita baker song, but i agree with "Beautiful Skin" by Goodie Mob.

That hook is serious about a soul mate.

As a matter of fact, that album is nearly flawless. Everything they talked about was somehow connected to the soul.

"Guess Who" explaining the ups and downs on a mother-son relationship.

"Cell Therepy" on how "it takes a village to raise a child," but what happens when the village is fucked up?

"Soul Food" discussing how important the dinner table and food preparation is in Black Culture.

"Thought Process" of the everyday struggle to be a black man. And so many others....

Damn man...thanks, I gotta throw this on the iPod today.

www.honorablemedia.com

Anonymous said...

Waddup Honarable,

I am going to post both songs in a minute so that you can hear the Anita Baker joint and so that everyone can hear them both. I actually put the wrong album cover up there for the Goodie Mob song. It was off the second LP, "Still Standing". I just updated that cover.

But you are 100% correct about those songs on the "Soul Food" disc. Those guys (much like Kast, but in a different way) were ahead of their times.

And I should be FINALLY getting an iPod tomorrow (yeah, I know I'm late) so it'll be fun deciding what I'm going to throw on there.

Daneger said...

I'm sure you were expecting a joke from me on this one but The Songstress (Anita Baker) is my favorite female R&B artist all time so I'm feeling you on this one. Although I don't know if that's my favorite song.

jendayi said...

I think all of us grew up on Anita. My favorite is "I Apologize".

I guess I gotta look into that Goodie Mob album now. =/ Ya'll are about to make me go broke!

T.a.c.D said...

Anita is classic...
Goodie MOB...the Good Die Mostly Over Bullsh*t...Soul Food is a classic album, hood consciousness...Beautiful Skin...For me the chorus and CeeLo's verse...something that every sistah should listen, understand, and expect

Anonymous said...

i think i know every anita baker song she ever recorded. i ain't talkin about only the singles either. i think she is THE single artist that has consistantly been my favorite since i started singing along to songs in the dining room by the radio in '83. of all her cuts, "angel" is my absolute favorite. it is very closely followed by "to the letter" off the compositions album (check it out). a man after my own heart :)

(no matter who might clown you) it's cool that you think about the type of woman with whom you want to spend the rest of your life. and you love her so unconditionally already! that's peace. i love it. i hope folks are taking note...

Anonymous said...

Chantele, you and I are on the same page when it comes to Anita Baker. I owe it all to my mom.

Anonymous said...

Okay Anita Baker's "Angel" is my FAVORITE song in the entire world.. That was put together with so much thought and love. It truly represents the essence of what a qualified mate should be to eachother..

Great choice Mike....

Anonymous said...

I concur