Monday, September 11, 2006

The WIRE gives a boost to the Baltimore hip-hop scene

I read an interesting article about how the usage of local Baltimore music (hip-hop, house, etc) as a part of the WIRE is not only bringing a new level of authenticity to the show, but helping expose a rap scene that has longed for attention outside of 695 (the Baltimore Beltway).

The article, entitled "For 'The Wire,' Rap That’s Pure Baltimore", gives insight into the music of Baltimore rappers and producers who have contributed music to this season's shows and also last season's shows. Having lived in Baltimore for 8 years now, I have to admit that I never really took the local rap scene seriously. Not until this past June when I attended the Style Warz hip-hop battle at the local Five Seasons after a recommendation from my co-worker Todd. I did just that, and what I discovered was that there is talent in Baltimore when it comes to rappers. I already knew about Bossman and his deal with So-So Def. I'd seen him in the club a couple times doing his "local celebrity" thing, but never really paid him or his music any mind (even after Jermaine Dupri signed him).

The truth of the matter is though, that there are some talented rappers in Baltimore and just like any other city, the rappers from Baltimore have pride in where they're from and are looking to bring a truly authentic view of their city through their words whether everybody likes it or not. I am glad that these guys are getting some exposure because it may lead to bigger things for them and Baltimore deserves some positive shine.

The article is a pretty good read, but one quote in the article rubbed me the wrong way.
"'The Wire' inspired me, let me know we had a voice I didn’t know we had. It showed me I might be sitting on oil."
This bothered me a bit because it reminded me of how people can have a talent and be creative, thought-provoking, and sometimes enlightening. Yet they still can't see that the most worthwhile asset is what sits above their shoulders. The BRAIN. Yes, you might be in a position where The WIRE can help you become a success. Yes, your city might be part of what helps you become successful. BUT, the "oil" is in your head, not under your feet. Without your creativity, intelligence, intuition, and ability to think, you wouldn't be able to see that the "oil" is under your feet. Keep that in mind.

As I write this I feel as if I may be over-reacting or taking the quote out of context. Yet I still feel the need to express my point. While that statement may not have been meant to be interpreted the way that I interpreted it, I think that many times a statement like that one will have an unspoken, non-connatative truth behind it. What I mean is, someone can say something and sound like they really know what they're saying but have no grasp of the depth of the comment they're making. For some reason, this statement came across as such to me.

Anyway, if you have time, I urge that you read the article and learn a little bit about how the WIRE is positively impacting the Baltimore hip-hop scene.

2 comments:

C Love "The Rap Addict" said...

i love it

c-love

Anonymous said...

Yes INDEED!