Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Who's that peeking in my window? POW! Nobody now.


Cell Therapy - Goodie Mob



Way back when this song first came out I loved it. Not because I really understood the point they were trying to get across, but because the song was just DOPE to me! It made me want to get hype. And when I went to see Rare Essence (popular DC area go-go band) and they hit this joint, I developed a love for this song that is probably unmatched by any other go-go re-make of a popular hip-hop song.

But today, after listening againg, I realized that this song was actually ahead of its time. This song was released in 1995, but they addressed/brought-up some topics that are actually still relevant today (and I'll use the actual lyrics here):

"Young girls thirteen years old
Expose themselves to any Tom, Dick, and Hank"
Young girls growing up too fast!

"United Nations, overseas
they trained assassins to do search and seize
Aint knocking or asking
Dem coming for niggas like me"
The young and strong being dragged off to fight wars

"Me and my family moved in our apartment complex
A gate with the serial code was put up next
The claim that this community is so drug free
But it don't look that way to me cause I can see
The young bloods hanging out at the sto 24/7
Junkies looking got a hit of the blo it's powerful
Oh you know what else they tryin to do
Make a curfew especially for me and you the traces of the new world order
Time is getting shorter if we don't get prepared
People it's gone be a slaughter
My mind won't allow me to not be curious
My folk don't understand so they don't take it serious
But every now and then, I wonder
If the gate was put up to keep crime out or to keep our ass in
"
Putting the poor together so that they don't interfere with the rise of the wealthy/rich/middle-class; Drugs in poor neighborhoods; "My folk don't understand so they don't take it serious" (think about that line)
"Who am I to tell you to stop smokin
Now you're open to disease and colds
And aint 16 years old, this shit has got to stop
Let's take a walk through detox
I want outta this hold I'm in a cell under attack"
While these lyrics may not be such a smooth read, the issues brought up and the point of the song is pretty poignant, "GET ME OUT OF THIS CELL!"

Most of these issues are either still being dealt with today or have been pushed under the rug because there are (allegedly) bigger fish to fry. The entire song is a metaphor (in my opinion) for being trapped in an environment where it appears that there's no way to get out. So they need "Cell Therapy" to keep themselves sane. "My mind won't allow me to not be curious/My folks don't understand so they don't take it serious".

They just tapped the surface of actually addressing these issues but I think it's both sad and interesting that these guys had a hold on issues back in 1995 that are still relevant today. They weren't the first or the last, but it just makes me realize just how slowly progress really is. Music is (in alot of ways) a reflection of society. Hip-hop used to be a very accurate reflection of OUR reality in urban black America. But now it appears to be more glorified in negative ways and filled with personas and egos that are larger than life.

We should really appreciate the artists who take the time to NOT address themselves or massage their own egos, but those that address issues that govern the lives of those who listen to the music. Like the Mos Defs, Talibs, Dead Prez, Common, Kanye (dare I throw him in there), etcs. They're music may not be the most popular or the kind that makes you want to move in the club, but I don't think anyone would argue that their music is probably the most moving.

My question to you all is, what will the kids growing up on hip-hop now look back and say about the music they loved when their in their mid to late 20s, their 30s, and 40s? Will they look back and say "that was deep, they really were talking about serious stuff"? Or will they say, "Damn, all we really were learning from that music is how to become a dope boy, wear overpriced clothes, and spend way too much money on materialistic items"?

Food for thought, you do the dishes...

9 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

The sad thing is, that the way they don't care about education, the way they don't care about life, and the fact that they are so self absorbed that they don't even see what is going on around them, and don't care to see...honestly, I don't think they will understand what they truly missed out on...
I know that sounds really sad, but honestly that's what I am feeling about it...but I hope and pray that I am DEAD wrong!

Anonymous said...

"the blind leading the blind(er)..."

Lawrenorder said...

The kids today won't even think about it. Life is a flash in the pan for them. The notion of stopping to actually think about something goes against the overly stimulated world they grew up in. The 1 or 2 that get into the classic hip-hop, the socially relevant lyrics, will be the few fighting to educate the masses...
Oh wait, that's what we're doing now. I guess we'll all see what happens...
A Goodie Mob lyric comes to mind (not all that deep, but relevant):
"You'll get where you need to be, in due time".

Anonymous said...

I dunno Lauren, I used to be one of those kids on the corner and in the streets all day but I think I turned out well. I was fortunate enough to not get shot or locked up or anything and go to college and learn that the world has more to offer than simply what's in my neighborhood. I think the lucky ones in the younger generation will be able to look back and view things similar to how I look do. When you get older and you've survived those obstacles and defied the odds as a youth, I think you have more of an understanding of why these kids are the way they are and what can actually help them change their outlook on life.

Lawrenorder said...

More power to you Mike. You know I can't relate. My Dad was one of "those kids" but that's even more generations ago in a different era. I can only hope that there is enough drive, ambition, or just getting fed up with the status quo that drives people to do better. I don't really see myself having a place in making that happen, except perhaps to be in a place people aspire to, just to see it can be done, even if not in the same way.

T.a.c.D said...

"I can only hope that there is enough drive, ambition, or just getting fed up with the status quo that drives people to do better."

I like that...Mike...you and I both stood on corners and all of that (me, not as much as you, because when I did it I was with my older brother and them...but still) the thing you have to understand is that the majority of these kids won't even make it INTO college to experience a different life...we had fun, we bs'd and all of that...but we did our school work, period! We still graduated in the top 5 and 10 precent of our class...they don't get that education really is your ticket out...that was your ticket...they aren't even really doing enough to barely get into community college, and let's not even get on the new SAT, which they aren't really prepared for because they can't write a comprehensive essay...and this isn't going off some statistics, this is going off of what I see with the kids I deal with...kids that live in Upper Marlboro, Largo, Bowie...who are coming from BETTER than us...and they still want to be street want to be hood...So I won't even go there for those who actually do...they think that a 1.8 is OK...seriously...

So hopefully a miniority at least SOME of our kids will get out and do something...but its not like it was with us, not even for you little brother...these kids are off the hook and they just don't get it...
NOW will I give up, HELL no! But in order to fight the good fight you at least got to know what it is that you are up against...

Anonymous said...

Tiff, that quote is my homegirl Lauren's my sentiments are similar. I told a friend just yesterday that if your parents raise you right, eventually things will kick in. The wildcard is if you live long enough (or simply have the chance in life) for that upbringing to kick in.

And I agree 100% that education is the key. That's why I could never raise my kids (when I have some) in Baltimore becuase of the school system and knowing had I not got the education I got, I wouldn't be where or who I am today.

Every kid's going to be influenced by TV and media to some extent. But again, if your parents raised you right, eventually that upbringing will kick in. I firmly believe in that because I was a knucklehead when I was really young and I turned out okay. And my younger brother wasn't on the up-and-up at all times in school and in life but eventually it came together for him and now he's on a path to exceed what I have accomplished. So based on my life, I really do believe that parenting plays a large role in a persons life, even when they are an adult.

But the reason these kids are off the hook is really because of the generation that preceded them. On a global level, they look up to people in our age range or just a bit older than us. So we have to be mindful of the role we play in the eyes of these moldable youths.

T.a.c.D said...

You are absolutely right, we definitely have to be mindful of EVERY thing we do, every single thing...I listen to the music I watch the videos but I can always break it down for them...

and like you and I have discussed before, it starts with the family first, it starts in the home...right now our kids aren't getting that so we, our generation, the ones that they look up to, have to make way for it

Anonymous said...

You mentioned breaking it down. That's kinda what I mean about parenting. Your job with your kids in Kiamsha is to be a mentor and as such, you can break things down, help them by giving them positive, factual information. But parents need to reinforce what you're doing in the same manner. That's what I mean by upbringing and being raised right. Because if parents don't raise a child, then TV, the streets, or someone/something else definitely will. I think we're totally on the same page with this.