Monday, September 25, 2006

Jay-Z, Lucifer, and how it all comes together...For one preacher at least...

Jay-Z poisons all of us:



Hmmmmnnnnnn...

Me being the *sometimes* anal rententive, *wannabe* webNerd, *since back-in-the-day* Jay-Z fan that I am, had to find the song this guy's referring to. Conveniently, the name of the song is "Lucifer" on the Black Album. I'm sure this preacher probably utilized that little bit of information in his sermon as well.

The song is posted below. Here are a few items of note regarding the song and this sermon:

1) As you will probably be smart enough to detect, in the first verse Jay has the words "murder" and "Jesus". Though they're used in different contexts, they do appear.

2) I'm not sure where this guy got the 6-6-6 from or what type of sound engineer he got to mix/edit the song so that he could make his religious/spiritual point (though I'm sure it wasn't Young Guru), but it sounds like he got the 6-6-6 from the beginning when Jay says "See-see-see". He just slowed it down (DJ Screw style) so that it sounds like 6-6-6. Drawn? Pressed? I think so.

I think his usage of this edited and manipulated version of the song is a pretty decent stretch. I won't even begin to talk about how I think preachers CAN BE some of the worst psychologists man has ever seen OR how hypocritical some of them can be, but ... You make the call. The song's below:





I suggest going here and reading the comments by DJOFFICIALONE.

2 comments:

T.a.c.D said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
T.a.c.D said...

I agree I just got a devotional the other day about this...entitled "Where U Been" and its about how folks put pastors and things up on this platform like they are GOD themselves and how folks think that their church is the END all BE all of Christ, when actually we are ALL a part of the body and believers...my church might work for me but not for you and that "should" be OK...the devotional left these helpful hints...
1. Avoid the phrase, "Pastor said". If your Pastor is really teaching you...you should say, "It is written."
2. Don't be critical of the way they are picking their crop. So they dress different than you? So they listen to Gospel Hip Hop while you listen to what I call Gospel Sam Cooke? Are you both praising?
3. Look at your religious organization and DISCERN what about your community is CULTURAL and what is SCRIPTURAL. Once you know the difference...it will help you become more respectful of different people. Culture can change....The Word does not.
4. Be prayerful about invites to your church programs. I am not saying don't do it. Just be prayerful.

Anyways...I just thought that added a little to this discussion...I like that you bring out that its strecthed and a lot of "church folk" either don't listen to this because "pastor said" or they aren't bold enough to call the pastor out on things...that's why you HAVE to be open and question everything based on the WORD...question your pastor if he is a man of GOD he will welcome the challenge and work to bring you answers...NOT work to have you feel a certain type of way because he "thinks" that's the way things should be...

but you know that's just my two cents