Friday, September 22, 2006

The Pack - "VANS": I kinda like this joint



But let me explain why...

First I have to put this in perspective. Nowadays we are oftentimes given a video before we hear a song on the radio. Or we will hear a song on a mixtape to create a "street" buzz before we hear the song on the radio or see a video. This song (for me at least) was presented via the first option, a video first. The first time I saw this video I thought these guys were from ATL (I plead guilty to coastal profiling) and I gave it 10 seconds and kept it moving because I thought I was going to get some more D4L type -ish.

A month later (literally) I catch the video again and this time decide to watch it. I like the beat of the song. I like the video and everything that's going on. It gives that real street vibe but then you have the skateboarders in the back (shot out to PHARRELL first and Lupe second).

Aside from the beat and the video, I like the fact that they're actually going against the grain with their content. By this I mean that they are going against the norm of hip-hop's fixation on Air Force Ones.
"We sport Vans and we throw away Nike's!" D@mn, it's like that?
I've never owned a pair and I am not into the custom shoe thing at all, but I can understand why someone might be like "who gives a shyt about an Air Force Ones", I got my own style. I can respect that and relate to it. To me, that's what hip-hop is about, setting yourself apart from everyone else in some way, shape, or form.

Anyway, I like THIS SONG. I doubt I'll buy The Pack's album because I'd need a little more lyrically than what they appear to be offering. But then again, I bought Young Jeezy, Rick Ross, and Yung Joc's (yeah, the first single got me, I can't lie) CDs. So maybe I need to step up MY game up a little bit...But that's another post. But I think this is some real hip-hop -ish in its own way and it's a fun video. Good luck fellas! With moving units that is.

5 comments:

jendayi said...

l.a. is working the mess out of this song - radio, clubs, house parties. the vans culture festers over here. never saw the video though.

Anonymous said...

I thought it would be pretty popular on the west. Especially the Bay area. I think Too $hort endorsed these dudes or something like that.

I'm not about to go buy any Vans or anything, but I think it's a cool song.

Daneger said...

Yeah these dudes are supposed to be Too Shorts protege's. I saw it in some article. Supposed to be to him what Bone was to Easy E. I saw the joint before but I wasn't feeling that joint but I do agree with what you are saying in your supporting points.

Daneger said...

Am I the only one that peeped Montell Jordan at the end of the video bopping his head...LMAO. WTF

Anonymous said...

Rika, I see I'm NEVER going to live that Yung Joc purchase down am I? LMAO! It's cool though b/c I definitely learned my lesson.

This is what prompted me to buy it (J/K)

You guys know I like both Jeezy and Ross but not for their lyrical ability. LOL. Ad-libs and bravado...Ad-libs and bravado.