Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Stoop/Corner Culture

Riding with my friend BHill to my favorite Tuesday night spot to eat, Koopers Tavern, I found myself pondering something I see just about everyday in Baltimore's east side. This is a phenemenon that I never really paid attention to growing up in the DC area but now seems commonplace to me. It's what I call the stoop/corner culture. Riding through Baltimore city, you see many rowhouses that all look as if they were made from the same cookie cutter. Many of them run-down, missing windows, or with spray-painted messages reading "R.I.P..." Some of them nice, large brownstones with well-manicured mini-yards. These rowhouses are part of what is symbolic of Baltimore city. But what amazes me is that it seems every third or fourth row house in certain neigborhoods, there's always someone sitting on their stoop just watching. As I watch them watch me I can't help but feel like they're sitting on that stoop watching life pass them by unknowingly.

I assume (hopefully naively) that the stoop view is their view of life...Sitting back watching cars roll by, neighbors walk by...Watching people go to and from doing their day-to-day business and activities. It's saddening to think that these people's lives consist of staying inside all day and only coming out to sit on their 4"X4" stoop to watch everyone else live life.

In addition to the stoopers, you have the corner crew. This is the group of kids/adults that are within ten (or some other random number) feet of the corner of innercity streets. Some of the kids might sell drugs and some of them probably don't anything illegal but are just there because their boys are out there. Most of the adults are likely drug addicts and when you ride by, they never ever let you pass without looking intently at your vehicle and at you if they can make eye contact. But is this because they think you're the police or you're being nosey? Or is it because they are admiring your ride? Or are they lost and looking to you for more than what they are able to grasp physically, visually, and imaginatively? It's that look that resonates so deeply in my mind and heart as a cry for help. It's like the look that Tupac gave in that infamous picture shown above.

That look is partly why I could never be afraid of those kids like many middle-class Baltimoreans appear to be. That look is why I could never be afraid of the people on the stoops. Those looks they give you - the scowl, the rolled eyes, the innocent gaze, the look of being lost - it makes them human. It makes them just like me and you! At times we have all been lost and needed direction, encouragement, or guidance. So in many ways these people that are viewed by many as "lost" or as "outcasts" or just "those people", are just like me and you.

The fact that Baltimore is poverty-stricken and plain old 'hood in certain areas isn't unique to this city. There are common problems in all urban communities that I could cite. The corner/stoop culture is not unique to Baltimore. My question to you is, do shows like THE WIRE and The Corner do more to help a city like Baltimore, or more to facilitate the problem? My answer at this point in time is that these shows help the city by exposing the issues to a broader audience. This audience can/may consist of adults who develop (or already possess) a strong desire to solve the problem and make things better. But for the kids, I believe that these types of shows (without parental/adult explanation) may facilitate the problems that they try to bring light upon. I'm of the former group (at least during the week), adults, so I like to think that I am part of the solution rather than the facilitation of the problem. I also like to believe that a city like Baltimore or any other urban city in this country can be improved/fixed/uplifted.

Unfortunately, for the past 8 years that I've been here in Baltimore, I can't say that I've seen the building-up of communities from within. What I have seen is the tearing down of communities (literally) through redevelopment/gentrification by developers like Struever Brothers. Projects down, townhouse and condos up...Is this the solution or does it just faciliate the problem even more? Where do all these displaced people end up...In a different 'hood! Those of you that watched the WIRE last season may be familiar with the term "Hamsterdam". In some ways, I think this redevelopment and gentrication of American cities may just produce Hamsterdams all across the country.

Had this on my mind since last night so I just wanted to put it out there. Feel free to let me know what you think.

7 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

I want to comment, but can you please tell me first what a "Hamsterdam" is?

Anonymous said...

I've got quite a bit to say about all of that- but to just answer your question about those stories (The Corner, The Wire) helping/hurting Baltimore, I have to say that I think they cause waves locally, but their effects are negligible on most of their audience. I think that most outsiders (not from/have never seen Baltimore) seeing that stuff don't think that those situations are real. It's so easy to pretend that the entire premise is fictional, from the setting to characters- especially if you want to stay comfortable in your safe suburban world with your 2.5 kids and Volvo.
For those that know something about Baltimore, or are aware about ground realities in urban environments, those stories will more likely help bring issues to the forefront rather than hurt by encouraging kids (I'm not too familiar with the Wire, but I know there is NOTHING encouraging in The Corner).
I am actually intrigued by the Wire because I have heard from people close to the Baltimore City Police Dept say that they know there is a leak from the PD to the show because the storylines are THAT on. Like even some of the sketchiest things that happen with the PD on the show are supposedly happening internally within the City PD. If that is the case, then talk about a HUGE whistle-blower! That is definitely bringing issues to the forefront. Now that I think about it, I know a community action group here that has actually used the Wire to figure out leads into potential corruption scandals- and were able to follow up legally after that initial tip. Hmm... maybe they are more helpful than I initially thought. It's all about the message being able to reach people that want to and are able to do something about it. Seems like a crapshoot, huh?

jendayi said...

Mike. I don't necessarily want to comment on the subject, but I do want to say that I absolutely LOVE this post. Your abilities, skills, ideas, and thoughts as a writer show through here more so than any other post that I've read from you. The third and fourth paragraphs in particular are VERY VERY VERY well written, and I want to commend you on helping us to connect through your eyes.

"That look is partly why I could never be afraid of those kids like many middle-class Baltimoreans appear to be. That look is why I could never be afraid of the people on the stoops. Those looks they give you - the scowl, the rolled eyes, the innocent gaze, the look of being lost - it makes them human. It makes them just like me and you!" Oh my goodness, that's so sick Mike...

I love it.

Anonymous said...

Tiff, that quote is my homegirl Lauren's my sentiments are similar. I told a friend just yesterday that if your parents raise you right, eventually things will kick in. The wildcard is if you live long enough (or simply have the chance in life) for that upbringing to kick in.

And I agree 100% that education is the key. That's why I could never raise my kids (when I have some) in Baltimore becuase of the school system and knowing had I not got the education I got, I wouldn't be where or who I am today.

Every kid's going to be influenced by TV and media to some extent. But again, if your parents raised you right, eventually that upbringing will kick in. I firmly believe in that because I was a knucklehead when I was really young and I turned out okay. And my younger brother wasn't on the up-and-up at all times in school and in life but eventually it came together for him and now he's on a path to exceed what I have accomplished. So based on my life, I really do believe that parenting plays a large role in a persons life, even when they are an adult.

But the reason these kids are off the hook is really because of the generation that preceded them. On a global level, they look up to people in our age range or just a bit older than us. So we have to be mindful of the role we play in the eyes of these moldable youths.

Anonymous said...

Sadena, thank you for your perspective on this. I really appreciate you and Tiff giving some first-hand insight because you guys work or have worked with the kids of the Balitmore and DC Metro area, respectively.

I can agree with the shows causing waves locally because the locals see reflections of themselves and their neighborhoods. Makes sense.

"I think that most outsiders (not from/have never seen Baltimore) seeing that stuff don't think that those situations are real." Good point, but people like me who see the bad parts of Detroit, LA, etc. on TV...We don't think it's fake. We believe it because we know we've come from similar situations. I think that people who have come from hard times and made it out take these images seriously and take them as at least some sort of reflection of the cities/areas they depict. Granted, alot of it is just entertainment, but on a show like the Wire, entertainment is a reflection of the reality many people live in.

And as far as the whistle blowing and the BAltimore PD. Not a surprise. There are good people in this world and there are bad people. Not all cops are good guys...Growing up in an urban area teaches you that at a VERY young age. I've been harassed, pulled-over for no reason, forced to get on my knees and get patted down for no reason. I understand why young black males' disdain of authority figures turns into a hatred toward the police. I don't hate them, but I dislike some of the things I've seen and experienced. But that issue is much deeper than that.

"Now that I think about it, I know a community action group here that has actually used the Wire to figure out leads into potential corruption scandals- and were able to follow up legally after that initial tip." Personally, I think that's kinda sad. When the police are that far out of touch, how good of a job can they possibly be doing? Not to mention that the drug dealers in Baltimore don't really appear to be all that bright anyway...How can the police not be at least on tap with what's up.

jendayi said...

You're welcome. You got talent!

Anonymous said...

'Preciate it.