Monday, October 16, 2006

Now I know how parents feel about their kids...

I don't have any kids so I can't really relate to how it feels to be responsible for someone's life other than my own. Hell, it's only been in the past few years that I have truly grasped what being responsible for my own life really does mean. But today, in an odd sort of way, I have that sort of parental feeling.

I spoke with my mother today and she told me that she is buying (actually already has bought) a MOTORCYCLE. WOW! Now, part of me is happy and part of me is scared/nervous. Let me explain...

Last year in May I took the Motorcycle Rider course that the MVA in Maryland offers. My mom was apprehensive about me riding because my uncle had a very very bad accident on a motorcycle when I was a kid. He survived, but had to get some serious plastic surgery done. I passed the course the MVA gives, and had plans on getting the motorcycle endorsement on my license and buying a motorcycle. Neither of those things have happened up until this point. I waited too long to get the motorcycle endorsement so now my dumazz has to take the learner's test and road test. And I haven't gotten a bike because it just wouldn't have been a responsible financial decision for me.

About a week ago, my grandfather took my mother for a ride on his Harley (yes, my grandfather has a Harley at 70 years of age). My mom raved and raved about the experience for days and days and kept telling me she would get her license, yada yada yada. I wrote it off as just the excitement of something new.

But as you can see, she's really falling in love with riding. So I'm happy that she's found something new to love that I also happen to enjoy. That means we can probably ride together whenever I get all my (motorcycle) shyt straight. But at the same time there's the fear of knowing: "Man, that's my mom going out there on a motorcycle!" But it appears to be a trait of several family members (the love of riding) so I guess the bug was bound to hit both me and my mother at some point in time, right?

Pretty soon there'll probably be some sort of convoy with me, my mother, and my grandfather. And of course, there'll be plenty of pictures if my mom has her camera on her.

6 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

Wow that's GREAT! Maybe one day when I get some sense behind me I will get a license for a bike (I drive like a fool now so I know I don't need a bike) but one day maybe all of us, including my Dad (who I got the bike bug from) can go riding...

Anonymous said...

It would be fun...

Daneger said...

Young that is wild. But I know how you feel. I have a huge protective side and my mom knows it so she uses that to stop me from doing stuff (i.e. when I wanted a tatoo of my dead grandfathers name on my chest she said if I did it she would too and it killed it for me...LOL)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your moms got the jedi mind trick over you son!

Lawrenorder said...

I am so getting a bike... I'll pass on the touring edition though. Triumph Daytona, baby!!!

Anonymous said...

That's wassup. I'm thinking Suzuki SV 650S or a Honda CBR 600 F4. But who knows. I just wanna ride.