Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Scott Storch: That HIGHLY CONSPICUOUS white guy...

that you might have noticed in several hip-hop videos recently isn't there because of some twisted form of reverse affirmative action hip-hop style. He's Scott fuggin' Storch! And I have been told that I better act like I know it! WTF?

Just in case you're still wondering who the hell Scott Storch is - like I'm sure many of you are - he's an "entertainment mogul, hip-hop record producer, arranger and keyboardist." Well, at least that's what Wikipedia says. But to me he's just the latest in a long-line of hip-hop producers who create a niche sound or a niche market for themselves by givng the right artists the right beats at the right time. And as a result, they create a "sound" that lasts for a year or two or maybe three and then they fall back into oblivion only to be infamous or desperately sought after (see Rockwilder, Swizz Beats prior to TI's "Bring Em Out", Timbaland, Dr. Dre, etc.).

But Storchavelli has a pretty extensive list of work along with an extremely impressive resume line-item...He used to be the keyboard player for The Roots, one of hip-hop's best groups of all time. That people, is quite a resume line to have. And on top of that he's become more relevant and sought-after recently because of work like this (this is hip-hop so don't expect any Tchiakovsky-type work here people). But yet and still, this guy has made a few beats that I find pretty nice and quite a motley crew (no pun intended) of artists he's done beats for:

Mariah Carey
D'Angelo
The Roots (of course)
G-Unit
Beyonce
Lil Kim
Memphis Bleek
Janet "All I do now is take my clothes off" Jackson
Fat "Lean Back" Joe

Also, you can see from the pictures in this post that this guy is "pretty flyy for a white guy, right?" (YES, I'm corny like that). Yeah, I feel the same way. He's super-cool...SUPER! But hey, he's trying. And he's evidently doing much better than average Joe's like myself because he's been linked romantically to Christina Aguilera, Paris Hilton (well, she's not really a bachelor resume builder is she), and even Lil Kim. Now if those aren't some of the finest Hollywood ladies then I don't know who is! But beauty is relative, right? Anyway, I digress...

While I like some of his beats and I respect his resume, I still can't really figure out what all the hoopla from rap artists about this guy really should mean to me other than he's the latest Pharrell Skateboard P or possibly the next Nitti. I guess I'll just accept his random cameos as a statement of an artist's loyalty or respect for the beat that makes him "HOT". I mean, it's not like we should expect an artist's lyrical ability or creativity to make him hot, right? Nah, that'd be Illmatic beyond a Reasonable Doubt.
Doesn't this guy look like a cross between Ghostface (robe) and Scarface (glasses) in that picture with the orange theme?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I was introduced to this guy through the Making The Band joints. The girls from Danity Kane apparently knew who he was (or acted like they did). They made a real big deal about him, and I guess I would too if he messes with Diddy.

I hate how he looks though. He just screams 'white-guy-who-is-trying-to-fit-in-and-look-black'.

Anonymous said...

yeah. I get the impression he's pretty well-renowned (sp?) and perhaps well-respected because of his track record. I guess the guy just needs a new stylist. He reminds me of Vince Vaughn in Be Cool