Monday, July 24, 2006

For all you fake-a$$ halfatarians: Test tube meat

New Harvest - Advancing Meat Substitutes

"New Harvest is a nonprofit research organization working to develop new meat substitutes, including cultured meat — meat produced in vitro, in a cell culture, rather than from an animal."




#1 - I thought KFC had been making test tube chicken, so what's really new? Oh, now I can get test tube pork and beef. Sorry, I prefer my chittlins from a real pig's intestines.

"Because meat substitutes are produced under controlled conditions impossible to maintain in traditional animal farms, they can be safer, more nutritious, less polluting, and more humane than conventional meat."


#2 - Safer? Ever heard of cloning? I don't really think it's safe to eat a semi-cloned animal? I mean, there's already enough additives and other crap added to the natural food we eat. Why would I want to eat something that's not even part natural?



#3 - I do think that eating healthy is a very good idea. I don't mind eating more stuff from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, but d@mn! When I eat meat, I'd like to know it's coming from a cow and/or pig and not some lab in Southwest Oregon. No thanks!

If people are so concerned about the safety of our meat and so on and so forth, then don't eat it. You always have the option of vegetarianism. Nobody's forcing you to eat it. There's nice tofu and quiche waiting on you to devour it!

What kills me is the number of people I've known who act as if they don't eat meat but really do! These are the people I call halfatarians. Maybe I should try and get this in the Urban Dictionary.

No comments: